Hi everyone! It’s Caroline finally and I’m writing from my new home in Colorado!
Like I said in my last update, my health got better and I took a giant leap of faith to drive across the country MN–>CO to become a live in Nanny for a great Catholic German Family. God has blessed me a thousand times, and am so happy here! Since I make healthy meals each day for the family, I may as well write them out for you to make too!
Just a heads up, this recipe was made up at the last second because we had a lot of extra cooked quinoa and a bunch of school friends coming over in 1 hour. So we brainstormed a bit and decided on something sweet with premade cooked quinoa, caramel and cinnamon!
This recipe is pretty flexible and you could add some baked apples instead of bananas. Feel free to add more or less quinoa depending on how much you have on hand. You could switch almonds for walnuts too. At the end we had extra caramel sauce so the kids just drizzled it over their pieces.
- 4-5 cups remade cooked organic quinoa (according to package – use water not broth)
- homemade maple syrup caramel sauce (I used this recipe but took out the salt)
- 4-5 bananas sliced
- 3 Tablespoons butter or ghee
- 2-3 teaspoons organic cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- organic walnuts
- Pre-make quinoa and caramel sauce ahead of time.
- In a large sauce pan combine cooked quinoa, cinnamon, butter, sea salt, and about 1/4 cup of the caramel sauce.
- Turn the heat on medium and cook until the butter is melted and the quinoa gets coated with cinnamon and caramel and becomes sticky.
- Line the bottom of a casserole dish with 1 layer of chopped bananas.
- Spoon on a layer of the gooey quinoa mixture and press with a spatula until flat and even.
- Layer more sliced bananas and again more of the quinoa mixture.
- On the top, put on the rest of the sliced bananas.
- Add walnuts and drizzle the top of the cake with the caramel sauce. (*you will have extra and can save it or drizzle more on later).
- (aka bottom to top: bananas, quinoa, bananas, quinoa, bananas/walnuts/caramel)
- Serve with a spoon because it tends to fall apart a bit!
*tip: Enjoy after nap time or else the sugar will keep you up! 🙂