GAPS Liver Pate
|May 14, 2012||Posted by Caroline Lunger under GAPS, Main meal, real food|
Hello, again. I have been gone for a long time. I thought it would be a good idea to try out a ton of recipes first and then be more prepared to share them with you all. Today I am sharing a staple in my house…LIVER PATE! Liver Pate is a great way to hide that ”livery taste”. Soaking the liver in milk or lemon juice for a few hours will reduce the “livery taste” even more. This is an easy recipe and I always make extra and freeze it. If you are on GAPS and cannot have butter yet, ghee would work perfectly too!
1 t fresh sage, parsley, rosemary, and thyme (feel free to play around with the herbs you like)
7 garlic cloves
1 medium onion
1 lb chicken livers
4 T butter/ghee
1 1/4 t salt
8 T butter/ghee (cold)
1. Chop you herbs, garlic, and onion. (It is getting blended so it doesn’t had to be perfect). I grated my garlic, but it was a big waste of time
2. Cube your 8 TBS of cold butter, and set aside.
3. saute herbs,onion, garlic, 4 T butter- until soft
4. Add liver and cook- don’t over cook them, leave them a little pink. (It is ok to leave them a little raw if you freeze them for 3 weeks beforehand to kill off any bacteria. The liver retains its vitamins better if it is eaten raw.)
5. (optional) put in sieve and stain out liquid for extra thick pate.
6. Save the strained liquid. Chill in the fridge and the layer of liver flavored butter will come to the top. This is AMAZINGLY flavorful butter! You can use the liquid for a stock or soup.
7. Puree sautéed mix and 8 T of butter cut in cubes (I used my Cuisinart).
8. Put liver puree in a mold (I line a small baking cup with a plastic bag to make it easy to flip it out).
9. Refrigerate until hard, and flip out of mold…EAT! with veggies or crackers.
~stay gutsy, caroline