Long time no see…
Hello, again. I know have been gone for a long time. I thought it would be a good idea to try out a ton of recipes first and then be more prepared to share them with you all.
Today I am sharing a staple in my house…LIVER PATE! Liver Pate is a great way to hide that “livery taste”. Soaking the liver in milk or lemon juice for a few hours will reduce the “livery taste” even more. This is an easy recipe and I always make extra and freeze it. If you are on GAPS and cannot have butter yet, ghee would work perfectly too!
7 garlic cloves
1 medium onion
1 lb chicken livers
1 1/4 tsp sea salt
1. Chop you herbs, garlic, and onion. (It is getting blended so it doesn’t had to be perfect). I grated my garlic (with this mini grater), but it was a big waste of time 🙂
2. Cube your 8 TBS of cold butter, and set aside.
3. Saute herbs, onion, garlic, 4 T butter–until soft
4. Add liver and cook–don’t over cook them, leave them a little pink. (It is ok to leave them a little raw if you freeze them for 3 weeks beforehand to kill off any bacteria. The liver retains its vitamins better if it is eaten raw.) I use this cast iron skillet.
5. (optional) put in sieve (fine mesh) and stain out liquid for extra thick pate.
6. Save the strained liquid in a little jar. Chill in the fridge and the layer of liver flavored butter will come to the top. This is AMAZINGLY flavorful butter! You can use the liquid for a stock or soup.
7. Puree sautéed mix and 8 T of butter cut in cubes (I used my Cuisinart).
9. Refrigerate until hard, and flip out of mold. Eat with veggies or crackers!
~Stay gutsy, Caroline