GAPS lemon bars
|July 7, 2012||Posted by Caroline Lunger under dessert|
Hot Hot Hot!
Today it reached 102 degrees today! Have you ever heard of weather like that in Minnesota? After swimming all day on the lake, my sister and her friend wanted something sweet but light. Lemon bars sounded perfect to them!
You see.. my little sister and her friend love to bake, but they love to bake with white sugar and white flour. We eat mostly GAPS food around here at my house, so that was not an option for the whole family. They were a little skeptical, but to their surprise these turned out great! They taste just like the unhealthy lemon bars full of sugar. Heres a little secret…they are actually quite healthy! These luscious lemon bars are filled with grass fed butter, raw honey, organic lemons, and lots of love These are a must have treat on the GAPS diet. Enjoy!
*Due to high requests for a “nut free crust” I have decided to add this crust as a substitute. Please don’t use the garlic powder. Instead add in 2 Tbsp of honey*
1 1/2 cup Blanched Almond Meal Flour
1/2 tsp Celtic Sea Salt®
1 TBP Vanilla Extract (optional)
1/2 cup Organic Lemon Juice
1/4 cup organic honey
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees
3. Dust the baking dish with almond flour or coconut flour.
4. (dry) Mix almond flour and salt
5. (dry) Add in butter, vanilla, and honey
6. (dry) Mix these ingredients until you form a nice ball
7. Press your ball of almond dough into the bottom of your prepared pan
8. Bake for 10-15 min until golden brown on top
9. While the crust is baking mix all the lemon filling ingredients in a bowl
11. Take out the almond crust and pour the lemon filling over it
12. Return the baking dish to the oven for 15-20 minutes until edges and top is slightly golden brown (you don’t want your crust to burn, watch it carefully!)
13. Take out the lemon bars and let cool on the counter for 30 min. If you cannot wait another moment you can eat them now (like we did) or put them in the fridge for 2 hours until set (this will make them easier to cut)
14. Eat and savor!
~Stay gutsy, Caroline