Cookies with No Eggs!!
Here is a recipe I created when my mom asked for chocolate chip cookies on mothers day. She developed an egg allergy out of no where, so I had to compromise, but I bet these would be good with eggs too. I did not try it with eggs but I know that 1tbsp of chia seeds made into an “egg” = 1 real egg. Since I used 2 “chia eggs” it would make sense to use 2 eggs.
I was literally crossing my fingers the whole time these cookies were baking, because all recipes I looked up had a combo of flours and I could only use rice flour. So I just started to throw ingredients in a bowl and hope for the best–well isn’t that always what I do anyways? :). These cookies are almost like a shortbread cookie texture and taste. They are down-to-earth but sweet like any chocolate chip cookie should be. My family found they are much better on the second or third day because the butter flavor pops!
I find that making your own rice flour produces the fluffiest rice flour, even fluffier then store bought. I have just ground white rice before because I was too lazy to soak it and it turned out corse and yuck. So the trick is to soak, dehydrate, and then grind your own flour. The rice soaks in more water and puffs it up. I use a vitamix blender to blend the flour.
2 cups rice flour (make your own here)
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup coconut syrup
1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil hot water & 2 Tbsp of chia seeds.
- Mix 1/2 cup hot water and ground chia seeds in a bowl. Set in fridge for at least 15 min.
- Mix coconut sugar, sea salt, baking soda, & rice flour together in a bowl.
- Pour in melted butter, coconut syrup, and chia egg.
- Mix until combined.
- Mix in chocolate chips.
- Roll out dough (it will be greasy so it will not stick to counter) until about 1 cm thick (make sure the dough is rolled out even so all the cookies cook evenly).
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out cookies.
- Place onto cookie sheet (since they don’t grow in size, you can place them close together). I like to sprinkle chocolate chips on top too.
- Cook for 12 minutes. They will seem undercooked but let them cool for 20 min and they will be just perfect.
- Store leftovers in a container and they will stay soft and good for many days.