Celebrate Spring with some homemade honey peeps!
Why make homemade honey peeps??
- Free of yellow food coloring.
- Made with 100% grass fed gelatin (I use this one —> grass fed gelatin).
- Reduces allergy symtoms! Yellow coloring is made from powder quercetin.
- Paleo/GAPS/allergy friendly.
- Made with honey.
- Because it is FUN!
- Made from grass fed cows.
- Help support hair, skin, and nail growth.
- Helps your body detox!
- Improves liver function.
- Helps you digest food.
- Decreases cellulite.
- Good clean source of protein
Read this post —> Food renegade
This post —> The Heathy Home economist
What is quercetin?
- Anti histamine for allergies
- Made from trees or plants
- A flavonoid
- Great for inflammation
- Good for T1 dominant autoimmune
1. Make the marshmallow base. Use this recipe. I would suggest to cut it in 1/2 because it makes alot!
2. Let the marshmallow base sit for a bit after making it. This will allow you to pipe better fuller bodied peeps. Just watch the marshmallow cream to make sure it does not get too hard to work with. You can try piping a few but you will know when it is perfect consistency.
3. Get a plastic baggie and fold edges over a cup. This makes it easier to scoop the marshmallow cream into the bag (like I did in this recipe with the chocolate). Cut a small hole at the bottom of the bag.
4. Make “sugar” coating.
5. Pipe your Peeps. I have my own method of doing this. Start with the bottom. It should be the longest section (oval with a fuller front) You can try to make the tail pointed. Then sprinkle in sugar coating. Pipe the head (circle). Sprinkle with sugar. Pipe the beak (circle and swoop up!). Sprinkle with sugar.
If you are using the coconut shreds then I would suggest piping the peeps first without sprinkling the coconut in between. It is too heavy and will flatten the peeps more. Just pipe like I said. Wait until they harden a bit, but are still sticky and then sprinkle.
6. Make “eye” paste. Mix some cocoa powder in a bit of honey and use a toothpick to dab on the eyes. You can also use the vanilla bean seeds if you have any left over. The cocoa powder/honey works and looks better though.
7. Let set out uncovered for a few hours or until they reach the hardness you like. Once they are just how you like them, store in an an air tight container (not in the fridge). Delicious!
These peeps are gooey. fresh. fluffy. sweet. and made with love.
~Stay Gutsy, Caroline